Obtaining Adabas High-Water Marks

Software AG's high-performance Real-time data base management system for mainframe

Obtaining Adabas High-Water Marks

Postby Maxime B » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:43 am

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a way to obtain Ababas High-Water Marks (HWM) with a CICS transaction for every DBID. At the moment, it is done in batch by simulating commands in SYSAOS and parsing the report. The goal is to set up a web service calling the transaction to monitor the HWM. Would you know how to do it or is there a more effective way?

Thanks for your help,
Maxime B

Re: Obtaining Adabas High-Water Marks

Postby RGZbrog » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:53 am

Software AG has a product to do this: Optimize for Infrastructure.

As far as I know, there is no API for AOS, so to build something yourself will take some effort. Off the top of my head:
. Schedule a job to create and parse the AOS report, as you already do.
. Store the parsed data in an Adabas repository.
. Create a (Natural) subprogram to retrieve the data.
. Implement the subprogram as a service via RPC.

That's a lot of work for just HWM. And you'll have to maintain the process. All things considered, Optimize for Infrastructure may be cheaper, especially considering all the additional KPIs (key points of interest) you get with the product.
RGZbrog

Postby Maxime B » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:26 pm

Thank you for your answer RGZbrog. Even though using the product you are suggesting would be a nice-to-have, I'm in no position to buy it and I don't think my boss would like to buy it just to monitor the HWM. As you said, AOS doesn't seem to have an API as I found out while doing some researchs (or didn't find :P ). Would you know if there is a way to find the information in memory or in an accessible database? Otherwise, I would rather go with a REXX program to get the infos with an online transaction because I would like to check the HWM every 5 or 10 min.
Maxime B

Postby RGZbrog » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:16 pm

I presume that the data is stored in the General Control Blocks. I don't have mainframe access, so you'll have to try running the Adabas batch utility ADAICK GCBPRINT to see if HWM are there.
RGZbrog

Postby Maxime B » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:32 am

I ran ADAICK GCBPRINT but I couldn't find any relevant informations, even though there's a lot of informations.
Maxime B

Postby RGZbrog » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:33 am

Having reviewed SAG's documentation, it may be more straightforward to generate the HWM report via an Adabas utility rather than AOS.
ADADBS OPERCOM DRES
But this still doesn't satisfy your request for direct access to the information.

A batch job that generates and parses the HWM report can be scheduled, as previously suggested, or triggered by an online user, where that user is a Web service. Once the information is in an Adabas database, there are several paths available to a Web service: Remote Procedure Call and SOA Gateway come to mind.
RGZbrog

Postby Maxime B » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:52 pm

I'll do it in batch. Thank you for your help!
Maxime B

Return to Adabas