Question regards VSAM Reorg due to CI splits

Help for IBM's record-oriented filesystem VSAM, ESDS, KSDS, RRDS, LDS and Storage management Subsystems

Question regards VSAM Reorg due to CI splits

Postby deucalion0 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:26 pm

I have been tasked with looking into my sites ACF2 VSAM databases which have a high number of CI splits. I came to the conclusion that these VSAM datasets could be Reorganized as I seem to come across this a lot while researching. After a few days I still am not sure how I would Reorganize a VSAM dataset, especially as the dataset is our ACF2 Logonid database which is in use all the time.

Is there a utility for doing this? Is this a well know procedure, reorganizing VSAM data sets due to many CI/CA splits?

I have searched through the VSAM IBM manual as well as the CA ACF2 manual and Googled for hours to no avail.

Any advice on this would be appreciated!
deucalion0

Re: Question regards VSAM Reorg due to CI splits

Postby Robert Sample » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:48 pm

In general, the procedure to reorganize a VSAM data set is: the data set is unloaded to a sequential file, then deleted and defined, then reloaded from the unloaded data.

However, you need to contact CA and discuss what you want to do with them since ACF2 is such a critical component of your system.

And these days, CI splits are not necessarily that bad. In the days of (relatively) slow disk I/O they had more of an impact than they do now.

These users thanked the author Robert Sample for the post:
deucalion0 (Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:51 pm)
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby deucalion0 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:53 pm

Thank you Robert. I was coming to that conclusion, that CA must have recommendation for doing this as ACF2 is security and there be a process for reorganizing these VSAM datasets. I will need to keep looking through the manuals.

Cheers!
deucalion0

Postby ksuchomel » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:48 pm

ksuchomel

Return to VSAM/SMS