Easytrieve decompile back to source

Unicenter CA-Easytrieve Plus Report Generator: CA's information retrieval and data management tool

Easytrieve decompile back to source

Postby nosource » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:24 pm

Hello all. Thanks for reading this and if you reply, thanks again.

We are upgrading our Easytreive to the latest release. Step one is to get all pgms on rlse 6.4. I've got some programs that we can only find the compiled LOADLIB for. Worse than that, none of them are being run in the PROD environment. Anyone know if there is a way to decompile this back to the source?

It wouldn't have to be a 100% accuracte decompile (would be nice). Just want to get the major functionality identified so we can determine if the code is truly obsolete or was a 'fix job' and can be dropped from the upgrade.

Thanks again.
nosource

Re: Easytrieve decompile back to source

Postby BillyBoyo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:36 am

nosource wrote:Hello all. Thanks for reading this and if you reply, thanks again.

We are upgrading our Easytreive to the latest release. Step one is to get all pgms on rlse 6.4. I've got some programs that we can only find the compiled LOADLIB for. Worse than that, none of them are being run in the PROD environment. Anyone know if there is a way to decompile this back to the source?

It wouldn't have to be a 100% accuracte decompile (would be nice). Just want to get the major functionality identified so we can determine if the code is truly obsolete or was a 'fix job' and can be dropped from the upgrade.

Thanks again.

From a loadlib? No, I don't think so. If the was there, then when and loadlib ETP crashed, it could show you the source, and it doesn't, so scratch that. Maybe you can browse the loadlib, see if you can recornise the PARM statement. If you can, and you can see FLOW or STATE you might be able to know which parts of the code go with a particular source line number, and also how long the source is. If it produces reports, it would be very hard to manually decompile.

Only other thing I can suggest is to call Softpanic... whoops, I mean Pansophic... whoops I mean CA. And also do a bit of CYA, just in case they are/were important.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Return to CA-Easytrieve